Sunday 3 September 2017

Day: 278 23/5/04 Little Neston to Wales Border

Weather:  Fine and breezy.

Distance:  3 km (1.9 miles)    Total Distance:   3583 miles

The last stretch.  I had contacted quite a few people before today telling them of my plans and inviting them to join me on the last leg.  I had heard back from a number of people and in the end quite a few turned up on the day which was a lovely surprise. As well as Margaret and the boys there were Terry who I had worked for and lived not too far away, John who had traveled all the way from Brigg and was combining the trip with a visit to his parents, Andy who had traveled all the way from Northamptonshire to be there especially.  There was also Tim who I went to Swansea University with and his wife and daughter and our friends Mary and Andrew and their daughters who came down from Catterick. Representing my school days was Richard partner.  My family was represented by my Uncle and Aunt  and my postgrad days by Michael and Debbie and their children.

We left plenty of time to drive up from Coventry and was glad we did in the end because I was distracted for a second whilst approaching the Thelwall viaduct by a smoking lorry on the opposite carriageway and missed my exit therefore had to go over the viaduct and back though Warrington.

Getting going was a little tricky as people kept arriving.  Richard couldn’t find us initially which was no surprise as it a little off the beaten track and there is no sign of the sea! 


Last day of the walk


The whole day seemed like a dream in that there were people there from all different parts of may life, many of whom didn’t know each other.  The good news was that everyone seemed to get on OK. 

I had read on the Internet the week before that if there was any firing on the riffle range then it should be over by the time we got to the range itself.  Whatever happened we should have been OK as the range itself was actually on the Wales side of the border.  It made me wonder what sort of danger I put myself in some 20 years ago because I have a photo of me at the border with the red flag flying.

This time the red flags were also flying but nobody showed much hesitation in following me the last couple of hundred yards to the border. Terry, a professional safety officer was well up for it.  The only one who was nervous was Gareth and in fact he never made the actual boarder preferring to lie on the floor and escape any stray bullets.

The end of the coastal walk.


It was quite an emotional moment striding up to the gate, posing for some photos and saying a few words of thanks to those who turned up.


The kind people who turned up at the end


We walked back to the pub and celebrated.  Unfortunately the pub was not doing any food and the landlady even objected to people eating their sandwiches on the picnic tables outside.  She appeared very officious.  It slightly spoilt the atmosphere and people headed away perhaps earlier than they would otherwise have done given the lack of food.

Neston
Harp Inn, Little Neston
(Geograph)


Michael had kindly invited us back for a bar-b-que after so when everyone else had left we followed them back to Chester for a relaxing time there. 

A smashing day all round.

Celebrating back in Chester





No comments:

Post a Comment