Sunday 3 September 2017

Day: 277 18/5/04 Hoylake to Little Neston

Weather:  Fine and warm.

Distance:  18 km (11.2 miles)    Total Distance:   3582 miles

I was going to be working in Liverpool the next day so I decided to take a day off and go walking today.  I also made it a day for bagging trig points.  On the way up I went up Helsby Hill between Frodsham and Ellesmere Port.  This was a sandstone hill overlooking the Mersey.  I was relieved to have an excuse to pull off the motorway was it was getting very bunged up near Frodsham with Monday morning commuters.  I also bagged a low lying trig point near Clatterbridge hospital but had trouble finding this one as it was buried in the undergrowth at this time of year. I had to use my GPS in the end. 



Finally to Hoylake, parking the car on the promenade and heading west to begin with along the road but I pretty soon got down onto the beach for the rest of the day, something I was not expecting.  I was interested in Hibre Island just off the coast and the fact that there was a house or two on it, something I didn’t know anything about. 

West Kirby (Geograph)


Rounding the corner and heading southeast I very much felt that I was on the last leg of my walk.  I had to come up onto a promenade briefly at West Kirby but I was soon down onto the beach again.  As I was stopped for a drink and snack I got talking to a couple with a dog. They thought the Wirral was the best place in the world.  I nodded but was not that convinced myself. 




As I neared Neston I passed a lady who advised me that I should have a ice cream in celebration of nearing the end of my walk in a famous ice cream sellers in Neston. This I duly did. It was good advice, not as nice as the ice cream we had had in Italy on holiday at Easter but it was still pretty good compared to the normal bland stuff one buys these days.



The last stretch to Little Neston was on the marshland that no doubt used to be estuary before it silted up.  Finding a path here was a little messy at times.


Parkgate, Neston (Rosalind Mitchell, Geograph)


My other celebration was to have a pint of Pedigree in the Harp Inn, staking out the joint for my last couple of miles in a week or twos time.  I was thinking it would be a larger pub than it was but it was ok – at least it was in the Good Beer Guide. 


No comments:

Post a Comment