Sunday 3 September 2017

Day: 274 25/4/04 Garston to Frodsham

Weather:  Fine and hot.

Distance:  29 km (18 miles)    Total Distance:   3538 miles

It was a good weekend’s forecast so I set off early from Coventry and started the day with my new hobby of trigpointing – one of them in Stanley Park, Liverpool between Anfield and Goodison.  You are never far from a trigpoint and there are lots of different kinds to visit.  The hobby will keep you busy for years!  Visit TrigpointingUK

The week previously I had made contact via the internet with David Cousins who last year had walked around the coast and made a log of it on the Internet.  I had read his log of this coming section where he describes Garston as not very attractive, or words to that effect, and how right he was.  


Garston map


I parked not too far from the train station and made my way though Garston and then the nearby industrial estate.  Soon however I was able to cut down onto the mini cliff top.  As I approached Liverpool airport I was expecting to have to go down onto the foreshore and in the end I did.  Fortunately the tide was out.  The bad thing about this stretch was that the 4x4 vehicles had discovered the area and there was mile upon mile of ripped up ecosystem – the first evidence I had seen of this destructive hobby my entire walk. 

The coast got more pleasant at Hale Point especially in the Spring sunshine.  The path from here goes into Hale where I stopped for lunch.  As I was nearing the end of my coastal walk I decided to have a pint and a proper lunch in the pub, the Marquess of Hale.  It was a good pint of Liverpool brewed beer. 

After a short stretch of road walking it was back to the coast, through a country park, past some chemical industry, over an elaborate footbridge and then into the outskirts of Widnes.  To get onto the footbridge over the Mersey I took the underpass under the bridge and then onto the very distinctive iron bridge.  Getting off on the southern end was more difficult and the road swung around and back though Runcorn and onto the coast again.



Runcorn map

It all got rather scrappy from here.  I wandered through a new housing development but was then forced inland and ended up lost in Runcorn docks in among lots of scrap car dealers.  After a while I ended up crossing a railway line and going over an overgrown embankment onto a dual carriageway. 

I was a little nervous here as I had just had the operation on my wrist the Monday before to have the pins taken out of my broken arm and I didn’t want to fall and break it again!  I used my GPS at one stage to find out where I was – that’s how lost I was. 

The road went down into Weston Point – famed I believe for chemical contamination from the nearby ICI chemical works.  I had a pint of larger shandy in the pub, a rough place but the drink was only £1.64.  There was a cockatoo sitting on top of a cage in the pub!

After a spell on the dual carriageway again I cut down towards the power station and thought I would have to backtrack again as I could not see the path that was marked on the map but I asked the gateman and he said it was over the hedge – seldom used but passable. 

Down to the river, up the canal, over the bridge then another little error – a little detour up to near the motorway and back again. 

I called it a day near the Bridge Inn at Frodsham and began a very tortuous journey back to the car that took three and a half  hours.  A bus to Runcorn, a very slow bus to Liverpool stopping everywhere and then train to Garston - all with bad connections in between. 

I stopped the night in Chester Youth Hostel arriving at 10.00 with just time to eat some pre-packed sandwiches I had bought and drink two cups of tea before I was thrown out of the Members Kitchen and had to retire to the lounge with a modern working TV.  Oh how youth hostels have changed!  A drunken exuberant group of teenagers then appeared so I retired to bed hoping that none of them were housed in my room.




No comments:

Post a Comment