Sunday 3 September 2017

Day: 272 15/2/04 Southport to Hightown

Weather:  Fine and cold.

Distance:  25 km (15.5 miles)    Total Distance:   3504 miles

This, I am hoping, is the start of my last years coastal path walking, which at the same time  is disappointing in a big way too.  With my eye on a new hobby, I had started trig point bagging and stopped on the way to the start of this walk to bag one in the early winter summer sunshine at Holmeswood. 

I parked the car on the Crossens housing estate rather than leave it in the isolated lay-by where I had finished walking last time.  This meant I had to climb over a fence at the end of a cul-de sac before even starting this walk and onto the riverbank.  There was a long stretch at the beginning of this walk along a road but as it was a Sunday morning it wasn't too busy.  I deviated for a while onto the muddy riverbank to get around a building and then back onto the road.  This turned into promenade as I past Southport.  I didn’t see too much of Southport by going this route as it is quite far back from the seafront.  All I seemed to pass was a large new shopping development and the ever present McDonald's both of which I avoided at all cost. 

Once out of the town the road went inland a bit and I took to the beach, stopping soon afterwards for a drink and snack out of my rucksack.

I thought of stopping at Ainsdale holiday centre for a coffee but although it was crowded with people enjoying an unusually sunny Sunday there was nowhere open.

Back to the beach again and onwards towards Liverpool.  I saw streams of people coming out of the dunes near Formby and down to the sea as if released from their winter hibernation holes.  Past Formby I started to hear the sound of rifle shots and then the red flags appeared.  I had seen the range marked on the map so was already expecting to be forced inland here. 

I walked up towards Formby but still had some energy left so carried on till Hightown taking a narrow footpath that followed the railway all the way.  I was very lucky on arrival at Hightown to get a train back to Southport almost straight away. The scouse girls on the train all looked like they were out of Letter to Brezhnev.  Southport itself was busy with Sunday shoppers – eating ice-cream in the sun!

I then got a bus back to the estate where I had parked – again, from a very friendly bus driver.

Time for two more trig points before heading home – one at the back of a garden centre in a field with a caged magpie and dead rabbit for food and one on top of a reservoir.  



No comments:

Post a Comment