Sunday 3 September 2017

Day: 265 29/5/03 Lancaster to Knott End

Weather:  Hot, heavy & mainly overcast.

Distance:  30 km (18.6 miles)    Total Distance:   3426 miles

There was no business meeting to hang this trip off so went up on my own. I still called in the Butty Bar, the shop near our Lancaster factory, for coffee, roll and a cake.  

I got lost when trying to find a way to the river eventually parked down by the wharf.  I set off down the river on a decent enough footpath that then turned into a bike track after a while.  The village of Glassen was excellent – a posh, yachting place and pretty village all rolled into one!  I had a cup of tea outside a take-away caravan.  

The footpath then headed down a track to the true coast.  I went to look at the remains of Cockshead Abbey and then past a village or row of houses at Banks Head.  

Eventually I reached the main road and signs on the farm gates appeared to make it clear that I was not to go along the sea defences so I had to keep to the main road for about three miles, most miserable though admittedly not too busy.  I met a young man going the other way saying he was off to Lancaster but did not know how far it was and did not appear to have any road sense.  I wonder if he ever made it?

I got back onto a new footpath and Lane End nature reserve for a mile but was then forced inland for a bit.  I got buzzed by lapwings before following the path then all the way to Knott and had a cup of tea and a cake in the café near the ferry stop.  I got slightly concerned about my next days trip as I noted the ferry was not running and I planned to use it to get back to my car at the end of the day. It turned out it was because it was low tide. 

I caught the bus back to Lancaster.  I think my car may have been interfered with because when I opened the door all the windows suddenly opened!  I went to the campsite at Stanah Country park and got a field to myself apart from the buzzing pylon.  Nice and tranquil though.  I went to get a Chinese take away and a can of beer.    


No comments:

Post a Comment