Sunday 3 September 2017

Day: 264 25/4/03 Carnforth to Morcambe

Weather:  Showery.

Distance:  10 km (6.2 miles)    Total Distance:   3393 miles

I got dropped off by the family down a country lane near Carnforth and headed off towards the coast – well marsh actually.  When the road cut back inland I took the path which was OK to start with.  I kept near the fields etc instead of being tempted to go across the mud flats and getting cut off by wide streams etc. It was all pretty overcast but pleasant enough walking. 

I failed to spot the start of the cross Morcambe Bay walk if it was marked anywhere.  A bit further on I was coming up onto the promenade via a fitness centre.  This was the posher end of Morcambe – wide roads, well maintained hotels.  

As I neared the pier where I has arranged to meet the family I spotted them over the road and we looked around the statue to Eric Morcambe and all his famous quotes etched on the pavement.

We went to a café and then ate our sandwiches in the car.  We made some enquiries at the Tourist Information Centre and then played the amusements.  In the end we went to the cinema to see Johnny English – the take off of the James Bond movies with Rowan Atkinson; not great by any means but mildly amusing and more importantly, the boys liked it.

We headed back to the youth hostel and went to the pub for a meal having just made it back to the hostel to ask if we could have tea there but then told they were fully booked.  The pub overlooked the estuary and we watched a good sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment